With the holidays in full swing, that means the new year is just around the corner. Here at Mashable, we’ve been reflecting on the changes 2011 has brought for technology and social media and what those changes mean for the future.
If you’ve been busy decking the halls and getting ready for the holidays, you might have missed a couple of our digital resources. Here is our gift to you — a weekly roundup of features. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!
Here are this week’s features. We hope you have a very merry holiday.
- Steve Jobs: 20 Life Lessons
Having finished the Steve Jobs biography I realize that there are larger lessons we can all glean from Steve Jobs’ remarkable life.
- Why Real-World Socializing Is the Next Big Thing for Social Media
There’s no doubt that social networking has made the world a more open and connected place. Just one problem — social networking isn’t actually social, in the traditional sense.
- YouTube’s 10 Most-Viewed Videos of 2011
If you watched a YouTube video this year, you contributed to YouTube surpassing 1 trillion views in 2011. But before you pat yourself on the back or shake your head in disgust, let’s see if your viewing habits match those of everyone else around the world.
- The Giftinator: The Ultimate Way to Find Your Man a Last-Minute Gift
You need something cool for the special guy in your life. Use our interactive graphic to find the perfect tech gift for the holidays.
- Facebook and iPhone Lead Way on Klout’s Top Topics of 2011 Lists [INFOGRAPHIC]
Hot topics that revolved around tech companies or products such as Facebook, YouTube, iPhone or Xbox 360 incited a flurry of reactions.
- How Facebook Conquered the Social Web in 2011
Already a social networking giant, Facebook still managed to have its biggest year in history. Take a look through our gallery of 2011 Facebook milestones.
- Facebook Names Top Games of 2011
Facebook names the top games of 2011 and the winner just might surprise you.
- What the Arab Spring Taught Journalists About Social Media in 2011
Here are IJNet’s picks for top five social media trends for journalists from stories during this tumultuous year and Arab Spring.
- 7 Surefire Ways to Increase Your Klout Score
Seven simple ways to increase your Klout score.
- YouTube’s 10 Most-Viewed Videos of 2011
If you watched a YouTube video this year, you contributed to YouTube surpassing 1 trillion views in 2011. But before you pat yourself on the back or shake your head in digust, let’s see if your viewing habits match those of everyone else around the world.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week [CHART]
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our new chart.
- 5 Things Missing From the New TweetDeck for Chrome
TweetDeck for Chrome got a makeover and lost some of its best features. Why, Twitter? WHY?!
- Flickr 2011: The Year in Photos
Flickr has pieced together the story of 2011 in 18 photographs.
- Who’s Tweeting About Holiday Travel? [INFOGRAPHIC]
What’s the preferred method of transportation for tweeters? Check out this infographic to see what Twitter users are doing to plan for their holiday trips.
- The 21 Most Memorable Tweets of 2011
Twitter in 2011 was the go-to outlet for sharing hair-trigger reactions to the year’s biggest news. Here are the year’s most memorable tweets.
- 10 Funniest GIF Trends of 2011
From Van Der Memes to Pizza, check out the most lol-worthy GIF trends of the year.
- 4 Tips for Landing a Job in Social Media
Do you have the know-how to make it in the growing world of social media? Check these tips to keep your A-game tight.
- Internet Justice League: Superheroes of the Online World [SUNDAY COMICS]
Here’s the Internet Justice League, a pantheon of superheroes infused with awesome Internet powers.
Tech & Mobile
- 13 Tech Luminaries the World Lost in 2011
We honor those lost who paved the way for unprecedented technological innovation and world change.
- Top 10 Space Stories of 2011
From the space shuttle’s final mission to Mars Rovers on Twitter, 2011 will go down as a landmark year for NASA and space exploration.
- The 10 Best iOS Games of 2011
From the visceral, intense experiences to the more thoughtful, here are 2011′s finest titles on iOS.
- 6 Crazy Tech Predictions for 2012
Let’s go beyond the plausible and dive into some tech possibilities for 2012 that are just plain nuts. Or are they?
- 9 Awesome High-Tech Holiday Easter Eggs
Google, YouTube and other sites are treating visitors to a series of Holiday Easter Eggs.
- Apple in 2011: A Bittersweet Year for Tech’s Most Valuable Company
While the company earned record profits in 2011, they also lost their CEO and founder Steve Jobs. Here’s a look back at the year in Apple.
- 10 Most Popular Actors on IMDb’s Website and Apps
Natalie Portman attracted the most page views out of all actors, making her the queen bee on IMDb’s Top 10 Stars list this year.
- How Tumblr and Cinemagraphs Became the New Web Design Chic
Prominent designer Kevin Burgh discusses the marriage between art and technology and what inspires him.
- 11 Tech Factors That Changed Education in 2011
With rising tuition costs and more free learning resources online than ever before, we’re seeing drastic changes in the way education is pursued. Here are the big trends of 2011.
- Top 9 Questions Asked By New Mobile App Developers
The world of app development can be difficult to navigate, especially for a noob. Here are answers to the most common developer questions.
- 10 Top Tech Entrepreneurs Reveal Their Favorite Holiday Songs
We peeked into the holiday playlists of top tech entrepreneurs to see what songs they’ve got on repeat this season.
- 5 iPhone Apps for Last-Minute Christmas Ecards [PICS]
From simple vintage designs you can email, to customizable offerings you can share to Facebook and Twitter, our five tried and tested apps offer a range of solutions to suit.
- Tech Creeps Into Top Toy Trends of Past 30 Years [INFOGRAPHIC]
When it comes to the most-wanted toys of the holiday season over the past 30 years, one this is clear: The toy market has become way more tech-centric.
- Microsoft in 2011: How 13 Big Developments Shaped the Tech Giant
Microsoft had a big year. Here’s a look back at the moves and trends that brought the company back into the limelight amid still competition.
- 4 Big Trends for the Future of Sustainable Tech
Saving the planet and cutting down on emissions is a good thing, but who says you can’t have a little fun while doing so, here are four trends that are sure to rock 2012.
- 7 Simple Tools for Email Sanity
Don’t let your inbox drag you down. Here are seven tools to make email management easier.
- 7 Free iPhone Apps that Make Shopping a Cinch
Whether you’re looking for the best deal or want a better way to organize your grocery lists, these iPhone apps aim to make your shopping life easier.
- Top 10 Tech This Week [PICS]
Light up your iPhone, peek at a future Lexus, slip on some self-cooling shoes and even harpoon a comet in the latest Top 10 Tech This Week.
Business & Marketing
- 5 Ways to Win at Website Localization
Let’s take a close look at five important points every company needs to know before going global with website localization.
- 7 Ways Businesses Can Get More Social With SlideShare
The social functions in SlideShare are giving companies the potential to connect with customers and clients in new ways. Here are seven tips.
- 4 Reasons 3D Movies Aren’t Just a Fad
Is 3D a gimmick? A trend? Or is it the next great frontier in movie making?
- GDrive: 5 Ways Google Could Dominate the Cloud Storage Market in 2012
Here are five things Google needs to do to make the rumored cloud service “GDrive” a success.
- 5 Ways to Generate Sales Leads With Mobile
Learn these great techniques to help you score more leads, more sales and more connections — all via mobile.
- How to Build an Effective Google+ Brand Strategy
Here are six steps to help jumpstart your brand presence on Google+.
- The 10 Most-Influential Retailers of the Holiday Season Online
Klout measured retailers’ online influence on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, and Foursquare to determine the 10 retailers with the highest Klout scores. Here are the 10 that created the most online buzz in the past 90 days.
- Why Quora’s New Boards Feature Makes It a Better Network
Quora’s relationship with the Q&A format is no longer exclusive, and that makes it more likely to scale as an interest-based network. Here’s why.
- Amazon: 13 Major Milestones of 2011
Check out this gallery to see Amazon’s major events throughout 2011.
- Self-Employed? How to Give Yourself a Raise in 2012
A freelancer’s pricing model determines the success and sustainability of his business and livelihood. Learn how to smartly raise client rates.
- NYC Startup Scene Celebrated in 2012 Calendar [PHOTOS]
The New York startup scene is capping off a robust 2011 with a look ahead to the new year in the form of a 2012 calendar, featuring 12 of the city’s up and coming companies.
- 6 Simple Tips to Optimize Your Mobile Website
You know a mobile site is important, but that’s only one half of the puzzle. Whip your platform into shape with these tips.
- Inside The Atlantic: How One Magazine Got Profitable by Going ‘Digital First’
A look at how a 154-year-old magazine became a digital success story.
- How to Influence Purchasing Decisions On The Web [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic breaks down the purchasing patterns of social consumers by industry. The data could help marketers optimize their budgets.
- A Guide to SEO Salaries By Market [INFOGRAPHIC]
Time to go where the jobs are. This graphic highlights where SEO gigs are most frequent — and pay the best!
- Is a Need to Please Hurting Your Business?
Are you taking on too much responsibility to the detriment of your overall work? Here are some red flags to look out for.
- The 10 Craziest Kickstarter Projects of 2011
We’ve gathered some of this year’s craziest Kickstarter projects, from a quirky toilet paper design to a grilled cheese sandwich that features Jesus’s face.